This is my story as I emerge from the dark cave of a destructive marriage and heal from the patterns of abuse in my life.
I am a Christian and love God deeply. My voice will not remain silent in the face of condemnation for saying ENOUGH.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Time Heals Nothing...

Time alone heals nothing.
It's what you do in that time that can bring healing.

I heard this today, and it clicked.

For years, I've been hearing, "It's in the past.  Stop dwelling on the past.  Just get over it."

From my parents who wouldn't acknowledge that their actions,
especially related to abandoning me while I was in labor with my first baby,
were damaging and mean.

From a spouse who kept making choices I disagreed with,
 that kept placing our family in an even more precarious position 
each time he made decisions on his own.

The best predictor of future behavior 
is past behavior.
I've heard that.  It makes sense to me.
It seems that those who continually excuse their behavior dismiss this idea.

I also thought that enough time had passed,
that twenty years of walking with the Lord equated to me being healed
of things I'd hardly ever shed light on.

Many things have been dealt with in my life.
I've aggressively pursued opportunities to deal with some of these issues.

Yet there are areas that are still in process.
And in the right time, God will help.
I just need to place things into His capable hands and trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment